e-book A Decade of Dreams: Reading Football Clubs First 10 Years at Madejski Stadium

Free download. Book file PDF easily for everyone and every device. You can download and read online A Decade of Dreams: Reading Football Clubs First 10 Years at Madejski Stadium file PDF Book only if you are registered here. And also you can download or read online all Book PDF file that related with A Decade of Dreams: Reading Football Clubs First 10 Years at Madejski Stadium book. Happy reading A Decade of Dreams: Reading Football Clubs First 10 Years at Madejski Stadium Bookeveryone. Download file Free Book PDF A Decade of Dreams: Reading Football Clubs First 10 Years at Madejski Stadium at Complete PDF Library. This Book have some digital formats such us :paperbook, ebook, kindle, epub, fb2 and another formats. Here is The CompletePDF Book Library. It's free to register here to get Book file PDF A Decade of Dreams: Reading Football Clubs First 10 Years at Madejski Stadium Pocket Guide.

Aussies abroad: Federici's loan move confirmed

Posted on January 16, by The other Bob Wilson. Posted in The kids. Six decades of Cardiff City v Wolverhampton Wanderers matches. Posted on January 15, by The other Bob Wilson. Still involved in the game today, who is this Wolves player from the 90s? Answers 60s. Des Horne. Martin Patching — his son Cauley Woodrow is a regular starter for Fulham. Portsmouth manager Paul Cook. Search for:. The Owl Centre. Although Duncan Edwards was injured, the United side was packed with household names, five of whom were to perish in the Munich air crash in An opportunist goal from Biggs put Rovers ahead after only ten minutes and Meyer, at the second attempt, doubled the advantage before half-time.

Creative and surprisingly confident against such talented opponents, Rovers scored again through Biggs and a late penalty from Bradford, after England left-back Roger Byrne had handled. Season saw some large victories and heavy defeats as the side had to settle for ninth place in the Second Division. It was largely an unchanged Rovers side which opened the season with a home victory over Grimsby Town thanks to a Dai Ward fifty-sixth minute reaction shot.

Rovers scored in each of the first fourteen league games of the new season to complete a run of 24 consecutive matches dating back to March Two more games would have equalled a club record established in , but Rotherham United held Rovers to a goalless draw at Millmoor. The early-season run included a win at Doncaster Rovers, Bradford scoring twice, and a home win over Stoke City, as Rovers remained unbeaten in their opening five league fixtures.

The two largest wins, however, came in consecutive home fixtures over Christmas.

ESPN: Serving sports fans. Anytime. Anywhere. - ESPN

Dai Ward, who scored after seventy-seven, seventy-eight and eighty minutes recorded the fastest league hat-trick by a Rovers player and Barrie Meyer, for the second consecutive Saturday, scored twice. This was the first time Rovers had accumulated ten league goals against any opposition in a season. The anomalies of post-war football left Rovers to be crushed by Bury at Gigg Lane on Christmas Day before repeating their score-line over the same opposition on Boxing Day. Peter Hooper, the eighth player to score three times before half-time for Rovers in a league game, scored a hat-trick against Bury, with Meyer again weighing in with two goals.

Hooper gave Rovers a sixth-minute lead and completed a thirty-minute first-half hat-trick when he scored from the rebound after his thirty-sixth minute penalty had been saved. Bury had led after seventy-nine minutes before five goals in eleven minutes, four of them to the Lancashire side, distorted the score-line beyond recognition.

Aussies abroad: Federici's loan move confirmed

One of these, Arthur Rowley, who had also scored at Eastville in September, remains to this day the record aggregate goalscorer in Football League history. At Vale Park, Rovers led after eighty-six minutes but, after a frenetic final four minutes, were left clinging on for a win, afforded by two Geoff Bradford goals. Yet, this game provided an incident which, in many respects, epitomised the spirit of Bristol football in those glorious days of the s. As they left the field together, the players linked arms, a symbol that rivalry does not necessarily mean enmity and a sign of what football meant to those at the chalkface in the immediate post-war era.

Three weeks later, Sheffield United took a first-minute lead at Eastville through John Wilkinson, only for Rovers to recover to win All of which hides a surfeit of results, which threatened at times to reach epidemic proportions. Three consecutive games in the run-up to Easter finished this way. What with defeats and victories, the team from East Bristol was due a run of unusual results and so it was to prove in This would have to be achieved without left-back Les Edwards, whose place was taken by a rejuvenated Josser Watling, and forward Bill Roost, whose goal at home to Swansea Town in March marked his final game in a nine-year association with the club.

Shades of at Preston, perhaps, and sure enough, victory at Boothferry Park attracted North End and a 32, crowd to Eastville. Rovers had just lost at Leicester City, while Preston were to beat Portsmouth in Division One only a week later.

  1. Estate Planning for Authors.
  2. Pavana!
  3. It's confirmed - London Irish to leave Reading after 18 years?
  4. August 22, 12222.

Although Hooper scored from the penalty-spot after just five minutes, the form book was not rewritten as North End ran out winners. Tom Finney, now thirty-four and already the holder of sixty of his career total 76 England caps, scored twice and shot wide from a sixty-fifth minute penalty after Paddy Hale had fouled England international Tommy Thompson. An acknowledged authority on the local professional football scene, Pinnell had worked as a reporter on the Bristol Times and Mirror from and had been Sports Editor of the Post for almost twenty-five years.

Pinnell died, at the age of eighty-nine, in January Unlike , they only had to progress from Round Three, by dint of Second Division status, but like the previous quarter-final appearance, the run was to end in a defeat. The reward for this was a home tie with high-riding Burnley and a crowd of 34, was attracted to Eastville.

Burnley, finalists four years later, were to finish sixth in Division One and boasted famous names such as England captain and centre-half Jimmy Adamson and Jimmy McIlroy, an inside-forward who won 55 caps for Northern Ireland. Yet, for the second time in three years, Rovers were to defeat top division opponents. Rovers led through Paddy Hale after twenty-five minutes until a flurry of mid-second-half goals left the tie all-square. A draw meant a potentially tough replay at Turf Moor, but Rovers emerged victors, Norman Sykes scoring his first goal for a year and Dai Ward adding a couple.

Shop by category

This was a staggering achievement for Rovers to have accomplished. It remains the only occasion that the club has won any fixture before a crowd of over 40, and was until January the only time Rovers had won away to a top division club in the FA Cup. Supporters of football in Bristol could not believe their luck as Rovers and City were drawn together in the fifth round.

Rovers should have taken a first-minute lead, but it was Barry Watkins who scored against his former club three minutes later to give City an early lead. However, despite a Bradford goal to parallel the one he had scored in February , Fulham ran out clear winners. Jimmy Hill put Fulham ahead from a rebound after his ninth-minute shot had been blocked, and Arthur Stevens, whose goals had knocked Rovers out of the FA Cup in , added close-range goals after twelve and thirty-five minutes.

Rovers approached season with no new personnel, but with converted forwards Josser Watling and Paddy Hale filling the troublesome left-back and centre-half positions respectively. In another high-scoring season, Rovers scored 85 and conceded 80 in finishing tenth in Division Two, goalless draws at Huddersfield Town and Notts County sticking out from amongst a glut of goals.

For a sixth consecutive season, the average attendance at Eastville topped 20, yet, at 20,, this was also the final such season in the twentieth century. Despite being bottom of the table, the Swans were two goals ahead after half an hour through Mel Charles and a Cliff Jones penalty and up through Ivor Allchurch after thirty-eight minutes.

Alfie Biggs equalised two minutes after the break and Meyer made the score with twenty minutes remaining, after Jones had scored his second. However, Charles scored his second of the game and, with twelve minutes remaining, Jones completed his hat-trick to give Swansea Town a win they were acknowledged as having fully deserved.

Twenty-four hours later, with George Petherbridge scoring twice, Rovers made a mockery of this result by defeating the Swans at Eastville. As was also the case in September and November , Rovers contrived to concede five or more goals twice in the space of four days. In this case, following six at the Vetch Field, it was six more at Upton Park.

2-minute review - Reading 0-0 West Bromwich Albion - 22nd April 2019 - Sky Bet Championship

At one stage, the Mariners scored four goals and missed a penalty in the space of eighteen second-half minutes. In fact, Hooper, unmarked in front of goal, and Biggs had both spurned opportunities to put Rovers ahead before Ron Stockin, after six minutes, and Gerry Priestley, two minutes later, put the visitors up when goalkeeper Nicholls had twice lost control of the ball. After seventy minutes, Ron Rafferty scored from the penalty-spot after Sampson had fouled Priestley. Late goals for Scott and Stockin, their second each of a bizarre game, meant Rovers had lost a league game by seven clear goals for the first time since April On the other hand, in addition to a successful FA Cup run, Rovers enjoyed some memorable victories of their own.

Only in three other league games have two opponents scored for Rovers. The season drew to a close with high-scoring home draws. Twenty-four hours later, another Bradford double eased Rovers towards a draw with Bristol City, where all six goals were scored in an extraordinary first-half. The sides met again in the Gloucestershire Cup Final, where City won , as well as hitting the woodwork twice, after Bradford had put Rovers in front from a Biggs pass after only six minutes.

The four meetings of the sides had produced a total of 23 goals. The season over, focus was switched to the World Cup in Sweden, where the host nation, coached by George Raynor, a member of the Aldershot side which played Rovers in , reached the final before losing to Brazil. The defeat at Derby County in September was his th for Rovers, a club record at the time and since bettered only by Stuart Taylor.

In the meantime, he coached schoolboys at Clifton College and it was on his way home from a training session that his motorcycle was involved in a collision with a car. For three days, his life hung in the balance before he died of his injuries on 31st October It is no coincidence that the days of FA Cup quarter-finals and promotion challenges were over.

Over the summer of , Divisions Three and Four were created out of the old geographical leagues. Within the Rovers camp, trouble was brewing as the two county cricketers, Ron Nicholls and Barrie Meyer, unable to make pre-season training because of commitments with Gloucestershire, put in transfer requests amid disputes within the camp. On the eve of the new season, the goalkeeper joined Cardiff City in an exchange deal involving John Frowen. He later played for Bristol City and was to appear in matches for Gloucestershire between and Another player who later resurfaced at Bristol City, Meyer played times for Gloucestershire and also served as a Test umpire.

This new stand was officially opened in August, prior to the first home game of the season. By the time the sides met at The Old Show Ground in January, the Iron had scored in 21 consecutive league games but Rovers were able to hold them to a goalless draw. It was a mixed season for Rovers, for they neither won three league matches in succession nor lost three consecutive league fixtures all season. The heaviest defeat came in the final away game of the season, at Sheffield United. The greatest personal performance, however, came against Rotherham United at Eastville in March. Geoff Bradford had scored eleven league hat-tricks for Rovers, but never before four times in one match.

He had also missed the draw at Millmoor in October and, returning after injury only a week before this return fixture, had in fact not scored since Boxing Day. The first Rovers player to score four times in a match in this division, he was also the first to achieve this feat since Vic Lambden on Easter Monday Not only did this equal a club record as yet unsurpassed, but Bradford also remained until Rickie Lambert in October the most recent Rovers player to score four league goals in a home fixture, Robin Stubbs, Alan Warboys and Jamie Cureton all having done so in the meantime away from home.

The team performance of the season was against Grimsby Town at Eastville in the middle week of October. A masterful victory, the only occasion Rovers have won by this score-line in league football, made light of the fact that Rovers had lost their two previous home games.

source url After a quiet start, the match exploded into life just before half-time, as Dai Ward, after twenty-eight minutes, and Peter Hooper, eleven minutes later, gave Rovers a lead, only for Tommy Briggs, whose seven goals for Blackburn Rovers had sunk the Eastville side in February , to pull one back a minute before half-time. Undeterred, Ron Rafferty, scoring against Rovers in both fixtures for the second consecutive season, registered a goal fourteen minutes from time. Geoff Bradford, however, scored twice in five minutes, three Rovers players had registered doubles, as against Middlesbrough in November and Rovers had avenged the drubbing of eleven months earlier.

Rovers led at the interval and, though Bradford had restored the two-goal cushion just after the hour mark, the home side was forced to settle for a draw. The Pirates had taken a fourth-minute lead through Ward, Hooper had added a second ten minutes later and, though Welsh international Len Allchurch had reduced the deficit after eighteen minutes, it had taken Hooper just seven more minutes to put Rovers ahead. Once the Swans had scored twice in four minutes midway through the second-half, Rovers were resigned to a second consecutive home draw.

Navigation menu

In finishing sixth in Division Two, there were indeed grounds for optimism. Rovers won their final three home games, each time defeating sides with larger reputations and greater spending power and which had beaten Rovers earlier in the season. Two goals from Hooper, the only ever-present, and one from Ward earned a victory over Liverpool before Rovers ended the campaign with home wins over Charlton Athletic and Sheffield Wednesday.

In the latter, Rovers fielded Tony Gough, whose second league appearance was to be for Swindon Town a remarkable eleven years later. He did not play at all in the league during the s. Also at this time, on 18th April , the former Rovers manager Percy Smith died in Watford, aged Despite the FA Cup glory of the previous season, Rovers found themselves a goal down in nineteen seconds and lost at home to Charlton Athletic in the third round.

This very early goal, the first of two by South African international Sam Lawrie, was followed by goals from John Summers, who famously scored five times when the Addicks recovered from down to beat Huddersfield Town in Division Two in December , and Ron White. Four or more goals were conceded on six occasions as Rovers finished the season in ninth place in Division Two. Relegation in and a long struggle, ultimately successful, the following season to avoid the unprecedented drop into Division Four, lay just around the corner.